Tomato soup that your 5yo will begrudgingly try after 20 minutes of complaining

Yep, this new “rule” we’ve implemented about trying one new food every night at dinner is going over swimmingly. And by swimmingly, well, just look at the title.

Linds, Austin, 3e136ab2-c4b3-4cbc-bc76-c3c1bf9f57ccand I thought the soup was great, a great accompaniment to the Muenster and Colby Jack grilled cheese that went with it.

As expected, the tomato soup put a damper on Nolan’s entire meal. He dreaded the idea of having to taste it so much that he also complained the grilled cheese was “too cheeseyyyyy” and he wasn’t hungry.

Anyway, for those of you who want a homemade tomato soup recipe that I kind of whipped up without a recipe, and happens to be super easy, here you go.

What you’ll need:

  • 3-4 pounds tomatoes, roughly chopped (plum, cherry, heirloom, etc.)
  • 1/2 onion (not a red onion, duh!)
  • garlic (however much you want/enjoy)
  • 1-2 bell peppers, diced (I used mini sweet peppers)
  • olive oil
  • 4 cups vegetable stock
  • 1 fistful of basil
  • Parmesan cheese, to taste


  1. Preheat oven for 375°
  2. Toss tomatoes, onion, garlic, bell peppers with olive oil, salt, and pepper
  3. Place in 9 x 13 roasting dish
  4. Cook for 45-55 minutes
  5. Transfer tomatoes, onion, garlic, bell peppers to Dutch oven
  6. Add 4 cups vegetable stock and basil
  7. Bring to slow boil and turn heat to low
  8. Puree soup with immersion blender
  9. Add some Parmesan cheese or whole milk/cream (I used neither), give a stir, and let warm for another 5 minutes

(That’s the first time I can recall actually writing out a recipe, so bear with me if it’s not technically sound.)

The grilled cheese recipe needs no explanation, though if you’re so inclined, cutting into small squares to use as croutons in the soup is pretty damn good!

So back to Nolan dreading a single spoonful of tomato soup the entire meal, asking if the spoon had to be full, if it was too hot, etc. You know the drill. Yeah, so eventually he tried it, said it was disgusting, and stormed off teary-eyed to the other room.

Dinner was over at 5:30-ish, and he was told he needed to nap if he wanted to go to the XL Center and watch the UConn men’s hockey game. He did.

And woke up at 6:30 this morning.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s